Best Laptop under 1000
Best Laptop Under 1000 – Our Reviews and Choices
The under 1000 price range for laptops is now solidly split between higher performance full sized/featured laptops and somewhat lower performance ultralights. The ultralights tend to be 13″ or smaller displays and are small and thin enough to easily fit in most peoples actual notebooks and that’s why people like them. The traditional notebooks in this price range are almost uniformly i5 or i7 laptops with higher resolution displays and lots of storage. They’re great for people that will do lots of multitasking and number crunching and also for those that want to take their gaming or movies with them.
Because of that we’ve reviewed a number of highly rated laptops in each category and have chosen the best based on reviews of actual buyers. Most of these have list prices below 1000 and all of them can be purchased for 1000 or less. So, here are the results:
Our Choices for Best Laptop under $1000 – Traditional Laptops
- HP dm4-3090se 4.6 out of 5 – Compact and powerful, the Beats Audio special edition laptop has great performance and all the features you expect from a full sized laptop. Top rated among all laptops below 1000. Read more….
- ASUS N53SM-ES72 4.5 out of 5- A close 2nd place to the HP, this 15.6 inch laptop has great features, plenty of storage and was consistently highly rated by a broad group of owners. Overall, the best buy because unlike the HP, you get a Core i7 processor. Read more….
- ASUS A53SD-ES71 4.4 out of 5 – Another great value from ASUS, but the ES72 is just a bit better according to our reviewers. Its a bit of a toss up, though as the price savings of about $100 on the ES71 might convince you to go for this model. Read more….
- HP dv7-6c90us 3.4 out of 5 – On first glance, this looked to be an awesome choice with a big 17.3 inch display, Core i7 and loads of storage. Unfortunately, we’ve seen numerous complaints about unresolved bugs that HP hasn’t managed to resolve, so if you really want the big display, hold out for something better. Read more….
Our Choices for Best Laptop under $1000 – Ultralights
- HP Folio 13-1020US 4.2 out of 5 – Our top choice because of its great reviews, loads of features and innovative technology. This edges out the Apple MacBook by a whisker. Read more….
- Apple MacBook Air MC968LL/A 4.3 out of 5. Yes, a MacBook for less than 1000 dollars. And great ratings too. But the Mac OS can’t overcome the performance limitations that lower memory and storage create, so the MacBook comes in second. Read more….
- Toshiba Portege Z835-P370 4.1 out of 5. Once the top rated ultralight, but no more. Ratings have slipped and newer ultralights with solid state drives like the HP Folio move performance (especially boot time) to another level. Read more….
- ASUS Zenbook UX31E-DH52 3.6 out of 5 – The Lowest rated of the ultralights we examined. Despite the fact that we’ve seen great value in other ASUS laptop models, this is not one we recommend. Read more….
Our top choices for best laptop under 1000 dollars, both in the traditional and ultralight categories provide great options for people that want power in a notebook or want true portability with more capabilities than a tablet can offer, so check out the reviews by clicking on the links above. We will periodically update this review as new models arrive, so please bookmark this page so you’ll remember where to check the next time you’re shopping.